Sunday, January 01, 2006

Merry Christmas to ALL!

Living in a diverse city like Ottawa can be tricky during holiday season. I had a bit of an awkward situation last week when I wished the Pizza-Guy a Merry Christmas. It was evident that Christmas was not one of the holidays observed by this man, but being a friendly person who was not brought up in the age of "PC", I have been throwing around the "Merry Xmas-es" like they were candy canes at the Santa Claus parade. He gave me a blank look for a second and wished me the same, but I could tell I had made him uncomfortable. While I gorged on my pizza, I took some time to reflect on what had happened and I have come up with this solution to what seems to be a problem plaguing department stores and consumers, Christian and Non around the world. Whether you celebrate or even observe the same holidays and anniversaries as I do, I will still continue to wish you a happy "whatever" regardless. I do not feel that I should curtail my enjoyment of the season or my desire to spread joy simply because you do not share in it. I would not be offended if you wished me a "Happy Hanukkah" or a "Merry Eid"; I would be thrilled that you thought to welcome me to your celebration. I think it is sad that someone would take offense to being wished a happy anything for that matter. "Happy Pride Week" to all my gay AND straight friends you will hear me say this summer. I will accept a "Merry Columbus Day" from my neighbors to the south next fall. We should all accept a wish for a nice day from your waiter, neighbor, bus driver and give one in return this year. There are plenty of people wishing ill to oneanother, lets wish something pleasant and be happy when someone wishes it to us!

No comments: